Monday, 22 August 2016

No Cell Phone Zone



I recently went on a road trip through New England (which was fantastic!) and took this chance to cross off my "unplug for a week" bucket list item. I'll admit to cheating a bit here - I still checked the internet a bit (mainly for address/direction/activity purposes) and texted my boyfriend a couple times a day to let him know that I had made it to my next destination safe and sound, but other than that, I didn't check social media, I didn't read any blogs, I didn't scroll through Buzzfeed for an endless amount of hours and it felt so GOOD.

I thought that I would feel anxious being so disconnected and constantly be reaching for my phone, but when I got back home, I decided to keep the no-social-media rule going for another few days because it just felt so much less stressful to not be constantly checking to see whether or not I had some notifications (especially since I wasn't worried that one of them would be work-related).

In a few weeks, I'll be heading into the busiest/most stressful time of the work year, so it felt nice to have this time to disconnect before the onslaught of texts, calls, and late night Facebook messages from people asking myriad questions.

I think I'll be taking a few days a month to just completely disconnect; especially since I won't need to rely on my phone to get me places/know where to go in a new city so I'll be able to do a true, full disconnect. And I have to say, I'm actually looking forward to the next time that I'll be able to do this for longer.

PS. Before heading out on the road trip, my boyfriend showed me how to change a tire! So that was another item I was able to cross off. Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment