Thursday, 22 May 2014

American Psycho

When I was a kid, I used to watch so many horror movies, and at one point a friend and I actually wrote our own slasher flick "script" when we were just in 5th grade. Somehow, despite this love of horror, I never actually watched the original Psycho. I think it was partly because it's so ingrained in popular culture that I felt like I had already seen it before.



This weekend I decided to finally watch it on a grey evening, and was really surprised at how little I really knew about the film. I mean, obviously I knew the shower scene and the score and the ending, but I never really knew much about why Marion Crane ends up at the hotel in the first place, which is what sparks the entire thing. I'm interested to see what happens when I watch some other AFI Top 100 films that I think I know really well but may be surprised by.


I couldn't get over how amazing Anthony Perkins was in that role. It's no wonder his Norman Bates has been near the top of so many "best villains/characters" list; he plays him perfectly.

This has made me want to watch a lot more Hitchcock. Which films do you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment