Saturday, 16 November 2013

Free in the Harbour

It's all happening


My fellow hoppers and I
Ever since I moved to Halifax, I've heard people complain about the Harbour Hopper - it's ugly, it's loud, it's an embarrassment, etc. But for some reason, I've always felt compelled to take a ride on the thing (essentially it's a 45 minute-ish land tour of Downtown Halifax on a car boat thing that culminates with a ride in the harbour.), and luckily a few other friends had always had that dream as well. 

Both of my friends who had wanted to join in on the Harbour Hopper fun were getting ready to move away a few months ago, so a few days before they left the city, we finally did it - we finally hopped on the Hopper.

I have to say, it was a lot more educational than I expected. I certainly learned a lot more about the city than I thought I would, and we had a genuinely fun time. You have to embrace the cheese - learn to love frantically waving at people walking on the street and scream out your best Ribbit! Ribbit! 

We were all horrified; however, by how excited and willing the tourists were to get splashed by the harbour water (don't ever, ever let the harbour water touch you.) but otherwise, it was a fantastic time, especially since it had been a gorgeous day and it was right before sunset.

Sometimes it's fun to be a tourist in your own city, and as much as people roll their eyes at tourist trap type tours and activities, you might be surprised at how much you learn and enjoy by putting on your tourist hat for the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment