Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Never You Mind, Honey. Never You Mind

I'll be honest, I had never actually heard of The Last Picture Show before I looked up the AFI Top 100 list, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't actually think I was going to like it much until the scene where Jacy (Cybill Shepherd) and her mom (Ellen Burstyn) are talking about Jacy's relationship - that's where it really caught my attention.

Plus they're both total babes in this

Jacy Farrow: Well you married Daddy when he was poor and he got rich, didn't he? 
Lois Farrow: Scared your daddy into getting rich, beautiful. 
Jacy Farrow: Well if Daddy could do it, Duane could too. 
Lois Farrow: Not married to you. You're not scary enough. 


I had no idea that the movie was filmed in the 70s and when it first started I assumed it was actually from the 50s, so when one of the girls gets topless I was kind of surprised that they'd put that in a film at that time. A quick IMDB search cleared it all up, though.

I loved Ellen Burstyn in this (even though no matter how many films I see her in, I still think of her as Sara Goldfarb from Requiem for a Dream) and Cloris Leachman (who I also always picture as the grandma from Now & Then). I was pretty underwhelmed by Timothy Bottoms' performance, though, especially in the final scene. However, it was one of his first films, so I guess I shouldn't have expected him to measure up with Cloris Leachman on that one.



I thought it was a great film, overall. The look & feel of the film seemed genuine (as genuine as I can tell from my lack of first-hand experience of the '50s) and I really liked how it gave a different view of the era, rather than the usual wholesome image that usually gets portrayed. I think that might really be what sold me on this. It had great visual appeal, the use of jukeboxes, radios & record players for the background music added to the natural feel of it, and the characters and dialogue was strong.

Definitely recommend you check it out if you've ever thought about watching it - and even more so if, like me, you've never heard of it until now because I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment