Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Rosebud

Today was more or less a snow day - the schools in the area were closed, except the universities, but my classes were done at 12:45 so I decided to spend the rest of the day in bed watching movies.

In one of my classes, we watched a scene from The Heiress starring Montgomery Clift and Olivia De Havilland since we're studying Washington Square by Henry James. It got me in the mood to watch a classic black and white film and figured this would be a great way to cross off a movie from my AFI list.

I decided to go straight to the top and watch Citizen Kane for the first time.


I feel like I was expecting more - not that I didn't like the film or thought it was bad, but I guess since it was at the top of the list and has been such a pop culture powerhouse I was expecting to be blown away like I had never been before. I think my expectations were just too high. That being said, after reading about the revolutionary cinematography and effects used in the film, I can see why it would be placed so high on the list based on the influence it had on film making alone.


I do have to say, though, that it bugged me throughout the film that these people are trying to figure out what Rosebud means since it was Kane's last word, but how do they know this? There was no one in the room! The nurse/maid didn't come in until after he had already fallen down and died. According to IMDB the butler was in the room and we're supposed to be seeing this from his perspective, but I'm not sure about that. I feel like that's something that someone just decided after the fact to cover up that big goof.


Things I can't criticize: The poster. Old movie posters are the best.
They should start making them like this again.

I'm not sure if the fact that I already knew the "twist" regarding who/what Rosebud is affected my viewing, but I still enjoyed it regardless. And as you can see, I didn't reveal it here, but y'know, even if I did, Schulz did it first.



No comments:

Post a Comment