Sunday, 13 January 2013

Flashback 001

I've been neglecting this blog more than I'd like and most of that comes from it being winter and not having the energy to do a whole lot from my bucket list. To try to get around that, I'm gonna start a Flashback series, detailing a different item I've marked off in the past. Most of these took place during one of my two road trips across the US and Canada, so it's also mostly a huge nostalgia trip for me because I can't afford to travel right now, but hopefully it'll also be interesting to you and help me get my writing back on track!

So first off, I've always wanted to go to Roswell. Not that I have any kind of real belief in aliens or anything (although I do think that the likelihood that we're the only sentient lifeforms in the entire universe is pretty unlikely, I'm just not ready to get any tin foil hats out or believe that the government is hiding aliens from us or whatever), but I've always thought it was something that was so prevalent in pop culture* that I really wanted to check it out some day.

I was surprised at how much everyone embraced the whole alien thing in Roswell. They really took every single opportunity to remind everyone that Roswell is THE place to be for alien enthusiasts.

Case in point: The light fixtures on the side of the roads downtown

And this Coca Cola machine
They definitely had one of the coolest McDonald's I've ever stepped foot in, though. It was in the shape of a UFO and everything inside was space-themed. We ate in the PlayPlace because it had a bunch of awesome statues everywhere.



I'd be lying if I said we didn't listen to Will Smith's Men In Black the entire time we were driving around. This was mostly my decision and I probably annoyed the hell out of everyone else while doing this, but whatever. There are certain songs that need to be played at certain times and that is one of them.

We couldn't leave Roswell without visiting the International UFO Museum, so we woke up early in the morning to check that out before hitting the road for our 8 hour drive to Tucson to check out Ty Segall and Mikal Cronin.

I have to say that it was unfortunately one of the most disappointing museums I've been to. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't what we found. The entire museum was almost exclusively newspaper clippings of articles written about aliens and people saying they think they saw a UFO in the sky, etc.  and posters of movies featuring aliens. I could have just looked that shit up on Google, y'know?

The Main Event, so to speak, was a display with about 4 alien figures and a spaceship that had dry ice come out from the floor every 15-20 minutes.




Overall it wasn't a total bust, there were some funny/cool wax figures and whatnot, but compared to all the other amazing museums and exhibits we had checked out during the month we were on the road, it was definitely the least impressive. That being said, it was only $5, so I can't really complain.

We didn't attempt to find Area 51 or the supposed UFO landing site or anything because, as I said, we had an 8 hour drive ahead of us, but driving through New Mexico never loses its appeal to me. It's so different than anything I'm used to back home, so I always have such a great time just looking at the scenery pass by.


If you have a chance to stop in Roswell some time, I'd recommend it. I wouldn't plan an entire trip around just that, but it's definitely a cool spot to stop for the night if you have the chance!

*Most things on my bucket list involve places I want to visit/things I want to do in certain places that are pop culture references in some way or another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment