Friday, 26 October 2012

It's an Artificial Nocturne

I've hardly been home for the last few weeks so I haven't had much time to write on here, or even cross things off the list. Between Halifax Pop Explosion, working some shows for Sonic Concerts, regular work, and school work, there wasn't much time left for interneting.

I did have time to check out Nocturne: Art at Night for the first time, though. This wasn't on my bucket list, and I'm not really sure why it wasn't because I've always wanted to check it out, but since I have nothing else to update on, here's my Nocturne post.

For the last 5 years, there's been a free art event that happens one evening in mid-October. I've always wanted to go but was always either out of town or playing a show or otherwise unable to attend, so this year was the year!

It was pretty cold but the first place we stopped, Biscuit, had some free hot apple cider for everyone, so it helped us warm up for a bit. They were doing one-nail nailpolish designs, but it was so jam packed we just grabbed the cider and went to check out some other stuff instead. I was actually really surprised to see that many people downtown that night. It was a nice change from it being kind of dead most of the time...or littered with drunk university students who think it's totally okay to jump in front of cars. Either way, it was nice to see.






There were bands playing all night in the middle of downtown (I can only assume it must have been hard to play with their fingers frozen) which was pretty neat, even though we didn't stop very long to check them out.

My favourite exhibit was at Argyle Fine Art where they had robots!

And they were adorable


There were props and we were not afraid to use them

Another favourite was being able to do my own letterpress at Inkwell. It was a message from old posters that appeared after the Halifax Explosion. I need to get a frame for it soon.

Still relevant

I'm glad I finally got to go out and experience Nocturne. Still kind of wish it was in mid-September rather than mid-October, but what can ya do. At least it's not mid-December, right? A huge thanks and congrats to everyone involved for putting together such a fun night of free art. Here's to another 5 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment