Monday, 3 September 2012

The Art of Losing

One of the items on my list that'll take more work than some of the others is my goal to get back in shape. Just to give you an idea of how active I used to be, here is a list of some of the things I used to do when I was younger...

  • Dance (jazz, hip hop, modern, and a very short stint doing ballet for about 3 years)
  • Golf (4 years)
  • Soccer (9 years)
  • Volleyball (2 years)
  • Softball (1 year)
  • Swimming (5 years)
  • Gymnastics (4 years)
Here is a list of some of the fitness activities I do now...



Right before the start of high school, my anxiety disorder sky rocketed and I pretty much had to quit every sport I played. I used to be pretty small, but I gained about 30 pounds in just a few months, along with losing pretty much any endurance and flexibility I used to have. I've been trying to get back in shape again for years, but I never stick to it. I was doing great a few months ago before summer started - I had lost almost 8 pounds in 2 weeks just from eating healthier and exercising a bit in the mornings, but then exams came along, then I got sick, and then I injured my foot to the point where I could hardly walk. After a month or so of not exercising anymore, I found it really hard to get back into it once I was feeling better again. I've been walking to work to at least get a bit of exercise in, but it hasn't been helping much. 


Right now I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life - 156lbs. Despite the fact that I think about 20 of that is from my tits, I'm  still about a size 9 or 11 in pants where I used to be a size 5 or 7 just a few years ago (although I have an ass now, which is a welcome new addition). It was a little easier to pretend that I hadn't gained so much weight this summer because I was wearing a lot of dresses, but now that it's getting cooler and I'm realizing I can't fit into any of my jeans anymore, I know something needs to change. I'm hoping to get back to the size I was a few years ago (while hopefully not losing too much of my T&A in the process).

I started exercising again this weekend and trying to eat better. Someone I follow on Tumblr has lost a ton of weight over the last few months and mentioned that she eats oatmeal for breakfast every day, so I started doing the same and adding strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. I've been trying to drink mostly water instead of pop, too.

Other than just losing weight, I want to be in better shape over all; be stronger, be more flexible, the ability to walk more than 3 flights of stairs without getting out of breath. A few of my bucket list items include things that'll hopefully help with the process (try a yoga class, start dancing again, learn how to swing dance, etc) so I'll try to do at least one entry per week on my fitness progress and try to keep it interesting and maybe motivating?

My goal for this week will be to walk at least half an hour every day. 

If you have any ideas for weekly fitness exercises or challenges I should do, please let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment