Sunday, 23 September 2012

So When You Run Make Sure You Run to Something and Not Away From

Last week, I had the chance to cross off three of my items, as mentioned in the previous post (I promise I'll try to do at least 3 entries/week from now on). The second item I crossed off was finally seeing The Avett Brothers live.

When I first moved to Halifax in the fall of 2007, I had never spent more than 5 days away from Moncton. My first week, I tried to get familiar with my new home by wandering around the downtown area, and visiting some spots that had been recommended to me. One of those was The Black Market. It's more of a bohemian vibe that isn't so much my style, so I don't go often, but there's always some neat accessories and knick knacks. They were playing The Avett Brothers' Emotionalism. I had never heard of them before, but went home and found it right away, and it quickly became one of my favourite albums ever.

A few years later, I did my first cross-country road trip. I did Saskatchewan to Victoria all by my lonesome and after a more or less awful time in Edmonton (at no fault to my incredibly wonderful and talented host, Doug Hoyer and his very sweet family who were beyond welcoming), I decided to cut my time in Edmonton short and go to Jasper and Banff for a few days instead. For some reason, I never even thought of going to see the Rocky Mountains when I was planning this trip, but looking back, I can't imagine the trip without them.


I didn't think I'd have much of a reaction to the mountains other than "oh, cool", so I was surprised at how emotional I got when I first saw them. The Avett Brothers' "The Weight of Lies" was playing when I first saw their peaks from afar. When you're driving across the country by yourself and you see something as beautiful as the Rocky Mountains for the first time in your life while listening to a song that starts off "Disappear from your hometown..." you're bound to shed a few tears.

So there. The Avett Brothers will forever be associated with moving to a new city on my own for the first time, and driving across the country for the first time ever - something I had dreamed of for years but never thought I'd have the guts to do, let alone by myself.

So when I heard The Avett Brothers were going to be playing The Harvest Jazz and Blues Fest in Fredericton, I knew I had to go. I got my ticket, booked a hotel, and prepared to cry my eyes out while seeing one of my favourite bands play some of my favourite songs of all time.

Wish this was an actual ticket rather than a print out, but what can you do?

There were a few songs I really wish they had played that they didn't:
  • Colorshow
  • Die Die Die
  • All My Mistakes
  • Famous Flower of Manhattan
but overall it was a fantastic set and the solo rendition of The Ballad of Love and Hate with just a spotlight was a definite highlight. Although part of me would have really loved to hear The Weight of Lies, I'm kind of glad they didn't play it, because I probably would have lost it and started bawling my eyes out.



They were amazing live (and considering it was about 33ยบ with humidity in a giant muggy tent I'm surprised they had as much energy as they did) and I really recommend seeing them if you have the chance.

So thanks, Avett Brothers for being amazing, and thanks Harvest Jazz and Blues for bringing them down and making this girl happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment