Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Be True to Your School

One of my bucket list items is to finally get my BA. I originally intended to become a teacher, but then at the beginning of my 3rd year I had zero motivation or desire to be in school anymore because I realized I didn't want to teach after all. I felt like I was wasting my time studying English and French, because what the hell else would I do with those degrees? So I quit. I took some time off and worked and travelled, then went to NSCC and graduated from the Music Business program at the top of my class with honours.

I'm an overachiever and a perfectionist, but also incredibly lazy. So I tend to procrastinate or just straight up not finish things and then feel this overwhelming guilt and anxiety that I'm not "being the best I can be". Even though I think my arts degree is mostly worthless to me as far as the industry I want to work in goes, I will feel like I am somehow letting down the universe if I don't finish my BA. The entire universe. So I'm going back so that I can tie up loose ends and take that weight off my shoulders.

Also because of the office supplies. I'll take any excuse to buy new office supplies.
I need 5 more classes to graduate, so I'm splitting them up this year so I can work my actual real life adult job part-time during the school year. I have a feeling I'll have even less motivation this year since I already have a job doing what I want to be doing with my life (working with a music organization), but I really want to be able to just get it out of the way and not have it lingering in the back of my mind all the time, so I'm determined to quit dicking around and finally graduate this year.



Today was my first day back. Note that I only have a few books so far - that's because I already didn't go to two of my classes. So, obviously, it's starting off well. To be fair, this is already much better than when I originally started my 3rd year - I woke up covered in bruises and blood from a particularly wild drunken evening and didn't even get out of bed, so y'know, going to even the one class is progress! Focusing on the positive!

I had a good excuse, though - I promise! I went to NSCC to talk to the new students about my time and what I thought about the program and what they should expect. I forgot to mention a few things I wish I had, so here they are:

Chantal's Music Industry Tips
  • Why are you on here reading this? Go out - go see shows! Go to events! Go to conferences! You   should be going out as much as you can, especially if you're just starting out. Get your face out there, talk to people in bands, talk to the people working at the venues, make connections, ask to volunteer. Connections are the most important thing when you're starting out. Even regardless of the connections, we have a fantastic music scene for a city our size, so go enjoy it!
  • You don't have to be an English major, but for fuck sakes, pay attention when you're sending emails, building your website, sending out resumes, etc. Nothing looks worse than a website or resume with a bunch of typos - especially if you're doing something on the marketing/publicity side. If you're expecting people to pay you to promote someone, you better be sure you can promote yourself properly first. First impressions are important, and even though the music industry is easy-going than some other industries, being professional is still essential.
  • If you're a cocky asshole who puts other people down and are generally awful to be around, people will be a lot less willing to help you when you need it. In fact, they'll probably looking forward to seeing you fail. So be nice and people will be nice back.
  • Show up on time.
  • Don't be a dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment